Re: Rates

Subject: Re: Rates
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:55:00 -0700

On 10/26/10, Porrello, Leonard <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com> wrote:
> Well said, Tony.

I guess not well enough, based on the collective disagreement.

All I meant to say was that the choice to accept an offer lower than
ideal depends on several factors, and should not be restricted to
"because I need work." I would hope that there would be other benefits
to offset the money.

I can think of cases where my relationship with the cmpany, belief in
the product or service, or the opportunity to develop new skills
trumped the money. Deborah's comment that techwr-l articles were
written on a shoestring describe opportunities for writers to gain
personal and professional recognition for their knowledge.

I've heard it said it's better to be famous than rich. Famous people
always find work, but rich people could spend
themselves dry.

-Tony

http://www.doctohelp.com