RE: Something for the fond fondler within you

Subject: RE: Something for the fond fondler within you
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:45:47 -0400

That's how I learned to read upside-down and backwards.
My Dad was a printer in a letter-press shop.
Leading had real meaning, then.
We think the combination of his smoking and all the solvent fumes and lead fumes was what killed him.
I'm sure I'd be a genius now if it weren't for all the fumes I inhaled while keeping Dad company at the shop - open pots of molten lead, inks and press-cleaning solvents, smears of fairly pure lead on every surface, and lead dust in the air. As it is, though, I'm just smart enough to get INTO trouble, but not always smart enough to get OUT of it.
Probably I should have taken the example of the Engineers in college, and used large quantities of alcohol to kill off the weaker and more questionable brain cells. Now, age is being less selective.

Like many 'of a certain age', I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I can still (mostly) remember how to tweak the vacuum lift on a Little Giant letter-press sheet-fed. Perhaps I should write up some instructions...

Oh, and I remember Dad patiently explaining why a customer for some posters and leaflets couldn't have 'em done in a nifty font they'd seen "in the big city". The shop would have needed to purchase that font - as sets of alloy letter-forms, into which the molten lead was poured (by the LinoType) to make the type that went on the composing stick that was then transferred, line by line, to the composing frame (coaxed into position with mallet, spacers and shims to fine-tune the clamping of the composing-frame screws). The customer would have needed to buy 100 times their little order to let the shop break even on the font purchase.

- kevin (what DID I have for breakfast?)

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Peter Neilson
> Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:23 AM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Something for the fond fondler within you
>
> On 11/02/2010 06:08 PM, Combs, Richard wrote:
>
> > Garfield gets into the subject to an extent that's mildly
> disturbing.
>
> Even in the extract, it's more than I can take, and I've
> always regarded
> myself as altogether too-educated in typography. I merely
> know some of
> the details of serif vs sans, have used a Varityper A-20, and
> once hung
> around a shop where a lino and a composing stick were tools
> in daily use.

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com