Re: For V/s Of

Subject: Re: For V/s Of
From: Craig Haiss <craighaiss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:35:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Michael.

Both "of" and "for" can be used in the example you provide.

"OF - used to indicate derivation, origin, or source"
(Dictionary.reference.com)

"FOR - with regard or respect to"
(Dictionary.reference.com)

Also, both words sounded completely natural to me when used in your example, and I'm a native speaker of English.

You're probably safe interchanging these two words in sentences that fit the definitions above. The definitions overlap. However, these two words have many other definitions that do not overlap.

Sorry, I couldn't find a more definitive discussion of "for" vs. "of."

You can find some grammar guidelines at http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp.

Also, check out the online version of the Chicago Manual of Style, and the Harbrace College Handbook. Both are good references.

I hope that helps.

-Craig Haiss
http://www.helpscribe.com