Does metadata matter any longer

Subject: Does metadata matter any longer
From: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: List, Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:21:52 -0500

Hi, guys...we're on a content-evaluation and review kick of our
external support web pages and I've defined a bunch of criteria that
we are using to evaluate content.

One of the criteria I've used to review the content was whether the
page included title and description meta data. About 91% of our
material does not.

So,,, the question. Before I dedicate resources for updating our
content, for the major search engines (Google/Yahoo/Bing), is meta
data an important tool in finding/ranking web content or has the
technology moved on to more sophisticated criteria?

Thanks
--
John Posada
http://jposada.zenfolio.com/