Re: Failure of spoken hyphenation

Subject: Re: Failure of spoken hyphenation
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 05:09:06 -0500

On 02/01/2011 02:12 PM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> The "Southern National Draft Horse Pull" event contains no hyphens in its name.

Precisely. Because the name contains no hyphen to alert the announcer,
and because the announcer apparently had no knowledge of draft horses,
his spoken assumption was that a National Draft is a separate entity
from a Horse Pull.

"Southern National Draft <pause> Horse Pull," is what he said.

In reality, the primary physical entity that is involved is the draft
horse. They are unmistakable, weighing a ton or more and eating a bale
of hay a day. Hyphenation of the compound adjective might have helped.

I apologize for inserting a discussion of hyphens on a non-Friday day.

If I cannot have my hyphen, at least get that announcer a can of Budweiser.

http://www.doctohelp.com