Concept - Task ratio

Subject: Concept - Task ratio
From: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: List, Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:47:42 -0500

Hi, guys...As I've said, I've been doing an analysis of our customer
support knowledgebase to look for areas of improvement.

I've introduced the concept modeled after the DITA methodology of
Concept/Task/Reference and it has caught on strong.

My question...for online help or web based help for consumer-type
services, specifically phone service, if you have thought about it, do
you find that you found a ratio of concept to task that worked out
best for you?

For instance, I'm proposing the premise that since this is for a
support site, we should be doing less explaining issues compared to
more presenting procedures on how to do and fix things; the logic
being that the average telephone customer doesn't care as much about
how something works as they do with getting it to work so they can
make their call and get on with their life.

Keep in mind, I'm not writing for the techy geek, but for the average
Joe Q Public with a telephone.

Has anyone else thought about this and if so, know of any best
practices that supports this premise?
--
John Posada

http://www.doctohelp.com