Graphics Resolution Confusion Once Again

Subject: Graphics Resolution Confusion Once Again
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:04:03 -0600 (CST)

Hi, all. Can you help me with my current confusion about the behavior of resized graphics?

My graphic is a screen shot and has these attributes:

---96 dpi resolution
---1141 px wide
---In inches, it is 11.885 inches wide

I want to import it into a FrameMaker document with a 5" wide text column. I tried it two different ways:

1. I resized it when importing it into Frame by choosing a custom dpi of 235 dpi. Printed result is very high-resolution.

2. In Microsoft Office Picture Manager, I resized it to 42% of its original width, which gives me a picture 479 pixels wide, which at 96 dpi is just about 5 inches wide. I saved the file and imported it into FrameMaker at 96 dpi. Printed result is jaggy and crude.

In both cases the figure that is being imported is at 96 dpi, which is a crude resolution to start with. Why would resizing it in Office Pciture Manager give such a lousy result, while importing it into FrameMaker gives a good-quality result?

Please feel free to refer me to previous threads or web sites where you know this topic is handled. I am sure it has been discussed to death. I'm sure I've asked related questions before. Unfortunately, I find it confusing and don't deal with it frequently enough for the explanations to stick. Maybe this time! I will try!

--Nancy

http://www.doctohelp.com