RE: WIKIPEDIA

Subject: RE: WIKIPEDIA
From: "Tim J. Slager" <TSlager -at- isdcorporation -dot- com>
To: RÃdacteur en chef <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com >> TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:12:16 -0500

Good news providers and reporters do not use Wikipedia--or any encyclopedia--as an authoritative source. Encyclopedias play an effective role summarizing or explaining topics. But even in high school (long before Wikipedia, or even the web for that matter) we were taught not to depend on an encyclopedia as a source.

I suspect Wikipedia lags behind Britannica in editorial quality, but it compares favorably in accuracy and exceeds it by far in breadth.

And yes, I have edited articles. They are mostly too far off the beaten path to invite much twiddling from those young "geeky ones."

tims