RE: Contracts

Subject: RE: Contracts
From: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>
To: "Lonie McMichael" <loniemc -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:03:43 -0600

I have been working in tech writing in the software business for almost
30 years now, and it has not been my impression that the ratio of
full-time versus contract writers has changed. Where I work now we
sometimes have more contractors than full-time writers, but now the
opposite is the case, and everywhere else I have worked, we have only
occasionally hired a contract writer. However, there are large companies
that tend to hire only contract writers.

Finding part-time work is probably more problematic, however. Most of
the time that I have needed to hire a contract writer, I have needed
that writer to work full time during the course of the contract. Of
course, I appreciated it if the writer didn't come in when he or she
didn't have work, but for the most part the need was for a full-time
effort.

I did a bit of part-time work when I was laid off a few years ago, but
it was pretty hard to find. Any work was hard to find, though.