Contracts

Subject: Contracts
From: Lonie McMichael <loniemc -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:27:50 -0600

Hello, Everyone:

I have been in academia getting my PhD (technical communication and
rhetoric) for the last seven years, so I'm a bit out of the loop. I would
appreciate any information you have to share.

I would like to work on short-term and part-time tech writing contracts
while I focus on getting some other things up and running that have to do
with my research (health communication). When I left, tech comm work was
heading more in the temp direction than in permanent jobs. Is this still
the case? Are these kind of jobs readily available now or are they few and
far between? If they are available, do they usually want you on or off site?

I assume that it is still a good idea to form a relationship with a number
of agencies that specialize in such work.

Before I went back to school, I had ten years in software and hardware
writing as well as marketing communication. Now I can add a variety of
skills to that list (instruction, health communication, research, etc.), so
I'm pretty flexible. I don't have high-end programming skills, but I have
the basics in most areas. I'm also in a good position because I can move
just about anywhere though I would prefer to stay in the New Mexico, Texas,
Oklahoma area because of family.

Any information is appreciated!!

--Lonie McMichael

http://www.doctohelp.com