Re: Special characters, such as TM, in web page titles

Subject: Re: Special characters, such as TM, in web page titles
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:27:58 -0700

Hi Bear,

Actually, even if a technical publication, this can be a dangerous practice. I took a course on Trademark law, and something interesting that I learned is that legally, every instance of a use of a tradename without the symbol TM or R provides legitimate evidence for moving that tradename into common use - at which point the company loses the rights to their tradename. It seems that company's often endanger their own trademarks without being aware of it! At a minimum, I would suggest you have the trademarks listed on a credits page (or whatever you call the page following the title page) as trademarks owned by your company. In addition, a simple statement, "Third party trademarks are the property of their respective owners" (I looked it up for correct working) should be adequate to cover any trademarks that are not your own. That way you don't have to but anything in the text about the trademarks of others.

Hope this contributes to the discussion.

Deborah

On 02/09/2011 9:42 AM, Chinell, Bear UTCFS wrote:

John:

In the absence of specific legal agreements, our position is that we simply never use those marks in technical publications. Where we want to assert the trademark rights of one of our products, we do so in text in the legal matter on the back of the title page. We feel no obligation to assert the trademark rights of others, but may do so as a courtesy, again in text in the legal matter.

Bear

http://www.doctohelp.com