Re: Special characters, such as TM, in web page titles

Subject: Re: Special characters, such as TM, in web page titles
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:21:38 -0700

Hi John,

Sorry for the delayed reply. In my experience, this may not be something you have a choice over.

When I worked for a very large worldwide company, their corporate standard was to have the TM or R symbol on every use of the tradename - no matter what. Heart attack city for my manuals, and I'm sure the webmaster wasn't thrilled.

I did succeed to get some compromises which may work better for a website than a manual, and that is to use the TM or R on the first use of each PAGE. Unfortunately, when writing a manual, its kind of hard to know where the first instance will end up and it was more cost-effective to have for every instance in the manual.

But in your case, first instance on each page SHOULD be enough. The issue is, will the website be checked by lawyers? (It should if the company is serious.) In this case, make sure they let you know what they want done.

If there is no lawyer, the first instance on each page should be good enough. However, it might be good to have something in the footer of all webpages that reads "All trademarks are the property of their respective owners." (Sorry, don't recall the exact wording we used for this type of statement, but you get the idea.

I hope this is helpful.

Deborah

On 02/08/2011 10:22 AM, John Posada wrote:

Hi, guys...what does the collective say about whether it is proper or
not to put cgaracters such as TM in web page titles.

I'm against it and prefer to put the special character on the first
instance of the term in the body, but I have some people here who are
taking "first instance" literally.

I'm without my style guide books...does MMoS or Chicago give an
opinion on this? I did a quick search but didn't find anything
defintive.

http://www.doctohelp.com