Re: "Frame Light?" was: RE: Framemaker Viewer? Floating Licenses?

Subject: Re: "Frame Light?" was: RE: Framemaker Viewer? Floating Licenses?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:36:17 -0500

On 02/14/2011 09:48 AM, Pinkham, Jim wrote:
> RE: Not knowing or asking how to use a document template in Word....
>
> I'm reasonably confident I could poll a random sample of 100 Word users
> in any workplace I've been in for the past 15 years, and 97 in each
> workplace would immediately display a quizzical expression and say,
> "Template???"

Back in the early days of MS Word, when markup was still in vogue and
the word WYSIWYG had just appeared, someone suggested that WYSIWYG
really meant WYSIAYG: What You See Is All You Get.

Over the years that's proven true. The immediate appearance on the
screen (not the printed page) is almost always the ruling factor, and
how it is accomplished is unimportant.

On the other hand, who among us has not been tasked with making or
enforcing a "Corporate Word Template" with the documents created through
it to be immutable in style. With my background in programming, I
thought it would be easy. "Gotta be some hooks in here for that, just
gotta find them." I'd worked under established macro styles for markup.
At one place we had someone whose job included managing a markup library
for troff, and woe to anyone who tried to sidestep the standard.

At a Frame shop we had the misfortune of two separate styles deviced by
competing departments. But that's nothing compared to Word, where
everyone's change to a single document is a new standard.

http://www.doctohelp.com