Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions

Subject: Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions
From: Phil <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:50:22 +0700

For junior writers, I'd imagine any question is a good question. Rather than trying to get them to self-filter 'stupid' questions (something that only comes with experience and is relative to the observer in any case), better to provide them with an environment that encourages them to ask anything they don't understand. They will learn how to frame questions more accurately to get the fast, concise answers that they want only by asking a lot of questions and being given a lot of responses. Providing an open and genuinely supportive team environment is the best way to teach people how to ask effective questions.

Phil

On 22 Feb 2011, at 19:30, Eric Ray wrote:

> All,
>
> I was coaching a relatively new college hire the other day on asking good questions
> and communicating effectively, and thought it might be good to get other perspectives.
>
> I tend to point folks to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , which
> is spot-on IMHO, but pretty harsh and not exactly er....nurturing.
>
> How do you coach junior writers (or anyone, for that matter) to ask better questions?
>
> Eric

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/philstokes03%40googlemail.com

Technical Writing
Help guides | Tutorials | User manuals
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14906355/hiretech_write.htm