RE: Custom dictionary

Subject: RE: Custom dictionary
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:16:24 -0800

John Posada wrote:

> I've been accumulating a database of "acceptable" words. I have about
> 3100 words in my collection...it may grow a little, it may shrink a
> little.
>
> For MS Word, has anyone ever taken a collectgion of words and turned
> them into a dictionary that would mark words as mis-spelling even if
> the word was spelt correctly but not in the customer dictionary?

Given the size of your "acceptable" collection, I'm guessing that what you really need to do is implement Controlled English. Check out the info and tools (esp. Lexicon Manager) at Smart Communications:

http://www.smartny.com/Default.htm

Here's a 1-pager on Controlled English and its benefits:

http://www.smartny.com/ce_specsheet.pdf

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer