RE: Perfect Width for Your Online Content

Subject: RE: Perfect Width for Your Online Content
From: Ed <hamonwry12 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "'David Neeley'" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 04:33:10 -0400

I hate when I forget to hit "reply to all"... apparently I sent the
following just to Sandy last night:

I don't at all agree with the "perfect" content length URL presented. The
author presents researchers, but only one link at the end of his post, which
is only to a general site, and not to any research.

However, I also disagree that the "perfect width is user-controlled", as it
goes against current web design practices.

Many designers now use the 960gs grid system (http://960.gs/). This
specifies a 960-pixel wide space for content.

Further, a 1920px wide screen (which I also have) would have a ridiculously
long word count for text. Even print design abides by a 45-75 character per
line length (http://jacobian.org/writing/typography-rhythm-proportion/),
which was suggested by Robert Bringhurst's "Elements of Typographic Style"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0881792063/.

HTML is not a formatting language, but CSS is. There are is a new use of
technology called Responsive Web Design
(http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/), which uses CSS
media queries, and aims to adapt content and line length for each kind of
device, so you won't be reading 640x480 content on your 1920x1080 screen.

-=Ed.