Authoring tool that works in the cloud?

Subject: Authoring tool that works in the cloud?
From: Tracey Bean <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:02:28 -0400

Hi all --

Is there a DTP or HAT (or both) that works in the cloud? If so, does anyone have any experience with such a tool?

I'm doing some freelance work for a small company.

Now, they have content created by technical staff. I'm sure you have a good idea of what it looks like. Everything is paper-based, developed in Word and distributed in PDF. They have no help. They develop apps in Java that work with SAP.

We've had some limited discussions about the direction they wish (and will need) to take with their content, but have not yet reached any conclusions.

The one stated preference they have is for a tool that will work "in the cloud". This is a practical consideration, as their employees are primarily remote. They do a lot of work using iPads and GoogleDocs. The "cloud" request was made in the context of reviewing, but I'm sure that if the authoring function were cloud-based, that would be a plus.

Thanks,
Tracey
traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net

http://www.doctohelp.com