Re: Authoring tool that works in the cloud?

Subject: Re: Authoring tool that works in the cloud?
From: Tracey Bean <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 08:53:13 -0400

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

On Mar 31, 2011, at 1:55 AM, techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Authoring tool that works in the cloud?
>
> You ask:
> Is there a DTP or HAT (or both) that works in the cloud? If so, does anyone have
> any experience with such a tool?
>
> I say, step back a bit and ask this:
> Is there an authoring system that works well with online collaboration?
<snip>
Good point. To date, we haven't identified outputs (!), so my original question puts the cart before the horse, I know.
With this client, identifying possibilities is something that I believe will help them focus on their needs.

> Second, I would suggest they move all their Word docs onto a WIKI -- it's free
> or cheap, light-weight on the client, the editor is even more ubiquitous than
> Word, more stable, numbering works, no special OS-level tricks, no RIBBON GUI,
> and it allows for full and free collaboration from anywhere. Simple in-house
> conventions can distinguish between comments, proposed content, accepted
> content, etc. For published docs, you step in and harvest the WIKI content to
> publish in your DTP/HAT of choice. I have experience with this and it works
> well.
<snip>

WIKI is something I need to learn about. You know, you have a couple of kids, take a few/several years to learn about, oh, Thomas the Tank Engine, Barbies, and Tinkertoys, and then you realize you're not the Smart ;-) Knowledgeable Pro you Used to Be. Sigh.

> <rant>
<snip>
ohhhh.... preaching to the choir! But then again, I've worked with developers who had to be convinced to use a release number on their code.

http://www.doctohelp.com