Automatically check styles and formatting in Word document - Macro??

Subject: Automatically check styles and formatting in Word document - Macro??
From: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 21:08:50 +0000

I have created several templates for my company in Word 2010. The largest risk in the project right now is ensuring documents released into the system have NOT broken the template styles.

I'm wondering if I could get a Macro that allows users to check styles in their document before submitting for release. Unfortunately I have very little Macro experience, and do not want to enter into a conversation with IT without more information.

Here is a description of what the Macro needs to do:

1. Writers click a button that checks the paragraph and character formatting for every word / line in the document.

2. A report is generated that provides a clickable link to each broken style* in the document (user clicks a link, document jumps to broken style (highlighted), user fixes broken style, repeat until broken styles are fixed).

*A broken style = any style that is not part of the pre-defined template styles, or any inline style applied to text (Body Text + Bold, Heading 1 + Left, etc.).

Questions:
Are there any fundamental issues with how I want the Macro to work?
Is there a Macro already written that will check Word 2010 styles and generate a report? If so, how can I get it?
How much IT development time might be required for a Macro like this?
Do you know of any alternatives to my idea?

Thanks!

This email has been scanned by the IMRIS Email Security System

http://www.doctohelp.com