Re: Multi-Platform Environments and DTP

Subject: Re: Multi-Platform Environments and DTP
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Ed Marsh <lists -at- edmarsh -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:48:13 -0700

Scribus is a reasonably usable open source alternative to page layout
tools like Quark or InDesign. But these tools are designed for
artfully designed pages in documents of relatively limited size, like
brochures or magazines. Even the best of them would be a terrible
choice for a 500+ page document (my personal best is a 200 page manual
in Quark and it was an experience I would not care to repeat).

I'd look into XML publishing tools that support multiple platforms,
either as native apps or with web-based UIs. The learning curve and
infrastructure ramp-up is steep, though.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com