got a reader or an iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, TouchPad?

Subject: got a reader or an iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, TouchPad?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:28:46 -0400

If there hasn't been a survey, perhaps now would be a good time.

How many list denizens have (and use?) an electronic reader, like
Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Sony, etc., or have a tablet like the iPad or any
of the recent flock of imitators?

I see where some slightly upscale cars now come with the user
manual on an iPad. I guess that works if your glove compartment
includes an inductive charging plate to keep the iPad alive.

Anyway, I have not yet purchased either a reader nor a general
purpose pad. Perhaps if they made one that rolled up like a
scroll for your pocket, then unrolled and stiffened for use...

Well, actually, I did purchase an iPad last year for the Mom-in-Law,
then took it right back and got a MacBook instead. She didn't
like the pad. I thought it was nifty, but too limited for my use
at the time.

I would have bought a Kindle a few years ago, but the whispernet
service stopped at the US border. I think we get the service in
Canada now, but that window has closed as I await what settles
out of the touchpad wars. E-ink is nice, but color is too nice to
give up, especially for reading magazines and such.

In any case, I expect the notion of product documentation on
reader or pad to catch on, especially for larger-ticket items.

I imagine that a pad/tablet of some sort would be a nicely
portable way to bring your resume and portfolio to interviews.

Is anybody using a pad/tablet in their work? Or writing for that
format? Or both?

Services like that 2epub, mentioned in another thread might
prove very useful.

- kevin

<bumpf-start>

or disclosing it.