RE: Conversion tool for PDF or Framemaker to Sharepoint wiki pages?

Subject: RE: Conversion tool for PDF or Framemaker to Sharepoint wiki pages?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Nina Rogers <Nina -dot- Rogers -at- DrakeSoftware -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 13:02:39 -0700

Nina Rogers wrote:

> I'm wondering what the best tool would be for converting, as painlessly
> as possible, either PDFs or Framemaker files to a Microsoft-type format
> that can be easily cut and pasted into a wiki page in SharePoint.

I assume you can import HTML into a Sharepoint wiki (the wiki pages I've looked at source for seem to be basically HTML). You can output HTML directly from FM (although it's, IMHO, painful and limiting). But a better solution is Mif2Go (omsys.com), a powerful and affordable way to convert FM files into Word RTF, HTML, XHTML, XML, or several varieties of Help.

For people used to a GUI, Mif2Go may take a bit of getting used to, but the documentation is thorough and support is excellent. Basically, you tweak settings in a configuration file for the output you want, generate the output (mere seconds), and then tweak settings some more, all the while consulting the documentation, until you've got it working the way you want. From then on, the conversion of any similar file to that same output takes just a few seconds (and could even be automated).

If you plan to being doing these conversions a lot over a long period of time, doing it via Mif2Go will be far more efficient than the alternatives (such as manually saving a PDF as Word and then converting that to the wiki).

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.