Re: Can this career be saved?

Subject: Re: Can this career be saved?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:08:45 -0400

From a recent ad on a tech writer forum:

"We are experienced in manually distribute your Articles .We are charges for 100 submission for $15, 500 submission for $65, 1000 submission for $120 ,"

Guess the country. Now most on here can clearly see this "English" is no where close to being the quality that any tech manual should be, yet some accountants in many companies will see paying a decent US technical writer $30 to $45 per hour and compare to the above prices. They will, without a doubt, dump quality in favor of price, and so our careers are always going to be on the line.

Only after the company gets sued for some error in a manual that results in death will they decide to improve the manuals. It happens, as people sue for everything. I was working with a writer a month ago who was a witness in a trial over his manuals where the user did not even have the manual around, was crushed, and yet the estate was claiming the manual gave faulty and dangerous information.

http://www.doctohelp.com