Freeware Time Planning Tool?

Subject: Freeware Time Planning Tool?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:33:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, all.

I'm being asked to figure out how much time my projects have taken over the past few years. My company did no tracking of this information in the past, but I kept a .txt file in which I noted daily work.

As I read through it, I can note when I mention beginning and ending each project and I can see the times when I had overlapping projects going on.

In the best of all possible worlds, I will find a tool in which I can enter a start and stop date for each project. These are dates in the past; the tool needs not to get in a tizzy about that.

I would like to be able to tell the the tool to assume a 45-hour week and divide each day between the projects I list. So, if on April 2, 2009 I listed two projects, the tool would assume I worked 4.5 hours on each one. In a perfect world, the tool will give me a total for each project.

Then I would like to be able to go in and manipulate the division of hours manually. Let's say that the two projects listed for April 2 are a long-term project and an application note. I know that typically I put aside long-term projects to get app notes done quickly. So I would want to assign 6.5 hours to the app note and only 2 hours to the long-term project.

I assume that MS Project does this, but I don't have it.

Can you recommend a program that can do this? Or, if I'm describing a slightly weird process and you have a tool that does the same thing but in a slightly different way, I'd like to hear about it, too. I'm just imagining how the process might go and my description might be somewhat eccentric.

Thanks for all suggestions.

--Nancy

http://www.doctohelp.com