RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels

Subject: RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:29:50 +0000

I agree that quotation marks just add clutter.

However, I think that bolding the UI elements that you use to perform an action enhances useability.

Given that people aren't prone to taking the time to read procedures slowly and carefully, bolding enables users to kind of skim a procedure and semi-intuit what actions to do by focusing on the key words and skipping the filler(ish) stuff (all the "click the" or "in the" phrases and such).

In other words, it creates a visual shorthand for fairly adept users.