RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels

Subject: RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:04:40 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynne Wright
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:30 AM

>>However, I think that bolding the UI elements that you use to perform an action enhances useability.

And not just usability... it can also be used to help out the poor tech writers. If you have to deal with translating your documentation, it can be a helpful style. Back when I worked with network equipment for retail, we had to translate into multiple languages and sometime the actual firmware interfaces or associated software was not translated for each language we had to provide docs for. We used a lot of "bilingual translations" where we'd have the phrase in English and the translated phrase grouped together, and bold style elements made those phrases much easier to spot in case we needed to swap out any of the phrases after the initial translations. It also made it much easier to check documentation translations against the actual GUI text in cases where a GUI was translated.

- V

http://www.doctohelp.com