What's your CMS editing process?

Subject: What's your CMS editing process?
From: <kristy -at- kristylantzastry -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:49:20 -0700

Cross-posted to HATT
We're in the early stages of implementing a CMS. Our editors are being
told that they won't be given access to the XML-based topics. Instead,
each editor is expected to comment on the grammar, punctuation, syntax,
and document structure in a generated pdf, which is returned to the
technical writer for correction before the document is sent for
technical review.
We writers and editors believe that editors should be able to correct
the minor grammatical issues in each topic, before a document is
generated. But, as always, we need to convince upper management with
facts rather than feelings.
Regardless of your type of CMS and subject matter, what's your editing
process? Do your editors work strictly with documents written by native
English speakers, or do they also edit documents written by ESL
writers? What works and doesn't work for you? How has your editing
process changed since implementing your CMS?
Thank you for any and all advice.

Kristy L. Astry
2011-2012 STC RMC Past President

http://www.doctohelp.com