Re: Managing images in Drupal

Subject: Re: Managing images in Drupal
From: Kristof Van Tomme <kristof -at- pronovix -dot- com>
To: Ed Marsh <lists -at- edmarsh -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:33:04 +0200

Hi Cheryl, Ed,

Cheryl your problem is with uploading multiple images at a time? What
is your exact use case?

Images have come a long way in Drupal, and it's a bit of a noob trap
since the "image" module sounds like the canonical solution but is
actually inferior to the parallel imagefield module. Historically best
practice was to have every image as a node object, so if you wanted to
add it to another node like a blogpost you needed to first add the
image and than attach it. With imagefield you just can add a field to
any other node...

Drupal 7 now has imagefield in core, this means that the ambiguity
between the 2 branches of solutions is going to go away. In Drupal 7
the new media module and media gallery are really nice and function
much like imagepicker but while staying in a field mindset (which
means you can later extend the way you interact with these images,
e.g. if you would want to make a visual list of your posts that shows
a list of pictures).

While I've never used imagepicker there are a couple of things in the
module description that set of red flags for me. It seems to me that
it's a stand-alone module that is doing a lot of things without
leveraging some of the API like contributed modules that have already
solved these issues (e.g. it's doing it's own resizing and doesn't use
imagecache). Since it is intended as a standalone module for pasting
html code this makes sense, but it will reduce future extension of
functionality.

The module stack Ed described is also what we would be using for doing
inline image adding in a WYSIWYG in Drupal 6. I'm only not sure why
you would need both imagefield and image on the same site.

cheers,
Kristof

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Ed Marsh <lists -at- edmarsh -dot- com> wrote:
> I'm developing a web site, not documentation-related, in Drupal 6. I agree
> that image management is a mess. It takes several modules to get stuff to
> work the way you think it should out of the box; I hope 7 is a lot better in
> that regard.
>
> Here's a list of modules I have installed:
> ImageField
> WYSIWYG
> WYSIWYG Image Upload (I think they're two separate modules)
> Image
> ImageCache & ImageCacheUI
>
> If you have other questions, let me know.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -=Ed.

ir. Kristof Van Tomme
CEO