Re: What's a good freelance rate for technical writers?

Subject: Re: What's a good freelance rate for technical writers?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:15:25 -0400

Mark, your situation illustrates one of the things that tech writers (and perhaps others) are up against: The competition (for me, that's you) often have very low expenses.

If I were to work in DC or NYC I would be looking at the expense of living there while maintaining my farm as well. If someone looking for a writer on an hourly rate can choose between me and someone who lives with his mother, the difference in rates can be tremendous. To stay in NYC on the short term, I imagine I would need at least $200 per day. That's another $25 per hour. The rates I've been quoted by agencies that say they want to place me in DC or NYC are around a laughable $35.

Hmmm. I can make better than $10 per hour just by staying home and doing occasional stuff while still in PJs.

Of course the DC jobs seem to want me to come equipped with Secret or TS as well.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:52:08 -0400, Mark Filiatreau <mfiliatreau -at- psi-it -dot- com> wrote:

Connie,

Thanks very much for this great advice. And thanks to the other
contributors, too.

I will not need benefits like health insurance -- I mentioned that but
Margaret snipped it from her reply--because our family will be covered
by my wife's employer's plan.

Mark D. Filiatreau