Re: Dilemma - LinkedIn Requests

Subject: Re: Dilemma - LinkedIn Requests
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:39:15 -0700

Linkedin is not Facebook. Your linkedin contacts are not friends, but business contacts that may be mutually beneficial to both parties. People you only have the loosest of contact with (for example, those of us here who have never actually met or worked together) may still be able to help one another out with information or referrals to mutual contacts.

For people you've had negative experiences with, the question is whether someone else could be of help to you, whether you would want to be of help to someone else, and whether being connected to someone else might actually harm you. Given that you're even asking about the people in question, I presume you probably don't think they can help you or care to help them and perhaps wouldn't want to participate in inflicting some of them upon someone else, so you should consider what you would do if you accepted and they asked you for a recommendation.. You should also consider whether others looking at your profile might know them and either call them for their opinion of you before hiring you or hold the fact that you know them against you because of their own bad experiences with them.

If you conclude they can't do you any harm or put you in an uncomfortable situation and they have useful contacts and owe you one, you might just want to consider letting bygones be bygones.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>

http://www.doctohelp.com