Re: verb forms related to Twitter ?

Subject: Re: verb forms related to Twitter ?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:00:43 -0400

Monique's inquiring mind wants to know about

capitalized âTweetedâ.

The question is one of trademark usage. Properly applied, a trademark is always an adjective, never a noun or a very. It's a Xerox copier, and you don't Xerox something, you make a Xerox copy of it.

So we might imagine that it's the Twitter tweeting service, and I suppose you can tweet, or have tweeted, or be about to tweet all you want to, but you don't Tweet, and cannot have Tweeted, even if you did so using the Twitter Corporation's facilities.

All that is, however, totally at odds with Twitter's stated view:

http://support.twitter.com/entries/77641

It appears that they are trying to cut new pathways within the field of trademark law. They say you cannot use misspellings of their trademarks. The resulting discussion of verb forms goes into areas I cannot even bring myself to mention.

One of the difficulties the item's current uniqueness. There is no obvious generic term. (Perhaps that's merely a confession that I cannot think of one.)

http://www.doctohelp.com