Re: Using Word for book publishing

Subject: Re: Using Word for book publishing
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:02:27 +0530

Hi Leonard,

By discipline, I mean defining paragraph and text styles in the template
you're going to use, and using that consistently. If you have a style that
includes list numbering for numbered lists, and you consistently use that
style, your numbered lists will not break. This works for multi-level list
numbers, captions, headings, etc.

This is discipline that most FrameMaker users are used to following when
using FM. Strangely many FM users do not apply the same logic to using
Word.

As with FM, the secret to having a robust document is to work with a
template that provides for all your formatting needs. As with FM, send out
PDF for reviews.
If you send out Word files to untrained users, the document will return with
bastard styles (technical term).

Further, Word has a limit on the number of list number objects a document
can support. Nearing that limit can cause problems.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks,

http://www.doctohelp.com