Re: second acts for technical writers?

Subject: Re: second acts for technical writers?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:05:10 -0700

On 9/22/2011 4:47 AM, Becky Edmondson wrote:

I am ready to move on, after many years in writing and editing, and
interested in hearing others' thoughts on second careers for technical
writers in the corporate world or elsewhere.

I have worked in technical communications since 1991. I recently earned my law degree and I am waiting to pass the CA bar exam. I took elective courses that were consistent with my career, like contract drafting, cyberlaw, and intellectual property, but I have become active in advocacy for animal owners because animal rights corporations are attacking animal ownership through legislation and animal seizures. The largest of these corporations, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), has even imported animals from Canada and Mexico and dumped them at U.S. animal shelters, apparently to burden the U.S. animal control system. HSUS also goes into areas hit by disasters and takes animals from the disasters to animal shelters in other states where the owners of those animals will never find them, since HSUS does not track the animals or provide any means for owners to find their animals. About halfway through my legal studies, I decided to focus my legal career on animal ownership protection and to help animal owners fight unscrupulous corporations, like HSUS. There are people waiting for me to become a licensed lawyer. So I have work lined up and I have my work cut-out for me.

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com