Re: second acts for technical writers?

Subject: Re: second acts for technical writers?
From: Lisa G Wright <lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:06:22 -0500

Becky,

When this question has come up previously on this list, other positions that people have mentioned include business analyst, user experience/interaction, quality assurance, corporate communications, and project management.

If you have this available, one avenue to pursue might be to find a trusted senior staff person who could give you some feedback about where they see your strengths taking you. As I have been working through the same questions you have, I really needed some external perspective. I've been fortunate to find that with my current manager. He helped me get past my "I'm a writer" mentality (where I was very stuck) and see what other options might be out there. As a result, I'm handling communications about 10% of the time, only some of which is tech-comm. I'm now primarily a business development consultant for campus departments thinking about coming into our data center.

Good luck!

Lisa

On 9/23/2011 9:33 PM, Becky Edmondson wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to hear how other tech writers had
managed a career change. My aim is more meaningful and gratifying work, not
total abandonment of writing or more money (not that I'm knocking that).
Unfortunately, the slow economy may give me lots more time to ponder my next
act than I really wanted to take. Maybe I just need a vocational vacation.
Tech writing is more forgiving of absences than other careers, I think.

http://www.doctohelp.com