RE: Scary responsibility in job ad

Subject: RE: Scary responsibility in job ad
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Combs says:
*********************
I'm really surprised at the overwhelmingly negative reaction to this ad...
The engineers I know are intelligent people
who understand the value of communicating clearly...
IMHO, sharing what I know with people who see the
value of learning it makes me more valuable. And it's rewarding for me,
not cringe-inducing.

Thanks Richard...  I'm equally alarmed at the negative reaction.  It tells me lots of people are interested in antagonism rather than cooperation.  The "monkeys with typewriters" comment was over the top -- maybe meant to be a joke, but not indicative of good things.

I have often helped engineers communicate better.  I have never lost a job for doing it.  And I have never seen confusion over who adds value to what.  Technical writing is all about adding value.

I'll also point out that you should probably not apply for any work at Google if this sort of job description offends you.  All the openings I ever saw at Google included coaching engineers to improve their writing.

cud

http://www.doctohelp.com