Can Machine Translation of Simplified English offer a realistic alternative?

Subject: Can Machine Translation of Simplified English offer a realistic alternative?
From: David Harrison <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:11:25 +0200

We have a situation where volume of sales of our product in some countries is simply too low to warrant expensive human translation.
One option may be to retrain one or two Technical Authors to re-write our documents in Simplified English. It is suggested that SE will bridge the gap for users who don't use English as their main language and that machine translation will give sufficient quality for users with no knowledge of English.
Has anyone in our group seen positive results from such practice or is it just another pipedream conjured by the proponents of SE?

Thanks
David

David Harrison |
Mold-Masters (UK) Limited | Global Hot Runner and Temperature Control Technology
Netherwood Road | Rotherwas Ind. Est. | Company Registration Nr: 1912861
Hereford | HR2 6JU | United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 1432 265 768 | Fax: +44 (0) 1432 263 782
dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com<mailto:dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com> | www.moldmasters.com<http://www.moldmasters.com>
[http://www.mold-masters.de/images/fpo_logo.gif]<http://www.moldmasters.com/>
Sent on 11.10.2011 12:11 by David Harrison

http://www.doctohelp.com