RE: Can Machine Translation of Simplified English offer a realistic alternative?

Subject: RE: Can Machine Translation of Simplified English offer a realistic alternative?
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: David Harrison <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:54:21 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David Harrison

Has anyone in our group seen positive results from such practice or is it just another pipedream conjured by the proponents of SE?

Positive results in lower costs/increased profit margins for specific countries, yes. No idea if it meant any more calls into local call centers from users who did not speak any English (by the time these products were out to consumers, I was no longer with the company, so I didn't get any feedback by then). Our products were networking and computer equipment, and we were assured that a lot of in-country users really didn't care if the docs and product GUI were only in English. There, the only reason to require translations was when it was required for regulatory approvals.

- V

http://www.doctohelp.com