RE: STC certification program

Subject: RE: STC certification program
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: 'Phil Stokes' <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 18:23:51 +0000

Phil said, "I'm astounded at the skepticism here."

I love the skepticism here. This group doesn't let you get away with anything, and while you may have to fight tooth and nail to overturn a consensus ruling that you are "full of crap," I've never seen basic stupidity ("BS") slide.

"Of course, that depends on the certification being both valid and widely recognized"

This is the big "if" that I wonder about.


-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+lporrello=illumina -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+lporrello=illumina -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Phil Stokes
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 10:58 AM
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Re: STC certification program

I'm astounded at the skepticism here. Professional certification is good
for everybody. It protects consumers and it confers both recognition and
higher wages on practitioners.

Of course, that depends on the certification being both valid and widely
recognised. The STC and other worldwide TC bodies (like the UK's 'ISTC',
which I belong to) are responsible for the first; we, as practitioners,
are largely responsible for the second.

It's the lack of this kind of professional qualification that kills
credibility for TCs among many employers and keeps us under the thumb as
little more than "glorified secretaries". Doctors were largely
considered as quacks and taken on merit till they got professional
certification. Now look at them. ;)

Phil


On 18/10/2011 00:47, Porrello, Leonard wrote:
> I have no problem with the STC making money. I would just want to be sure that the certification, in its several bits and pieces, offers a good ROI (all other things being equal).
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+lporrello=illumina -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+lporrello=illumina -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Tony Chung
> Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 10:44 AM
> To: TECHWR-L
> Subject: Re: STC certification program
>
> And Lynne,
>
> It is a money making venture for the STC, after all, the organization is
> broke. However, STC wants to provide some significant value to the money you
> give them, and this is one option.
>
> The jury's still out as to whether I can get certified for the work that I
> do.
>
> Steven Jong and the team were also really open to ideas. I'll be watching
> the process to see how it tracks.
>
> -Tony
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/lporrello%40illumina.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/philstokes03%40googlemail.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/lporrello%40illumina.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


Follow-Ups:

References:
Re: STC certification program: From: Phil Stokes

Previous by Author: Screen Captures; was, RE: Synonym for "cycle through"
Next by Author: RE: STC certification program
Previous by Thread: RE: STC certification program
Next by Thread: Re: STC certification program


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads