Re: introducing steps

Subject: Re: introducing steps
From: Phil Stokes <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:15:13 +0700

On 19/10/2011 00:53, Porrello, Leonard wrote:

I would have been contradicting myself only if I had left off the "literally", but nice try. ;-)

Not a nice try at all, just a bit of semantic pedantry on my part. ;)

/*N**ot*/ making literal sense would be an oxymoron like 'general analysis' or 'just analyze that without going into the finer details, would you?'.

By 'over-analyze' I meant 'to analyze a situation beyond practical use'. Peter was quite right, technically, about the grammar, but it is a difference that makes no difference (or so I contended in the other part of my post) to the reader.

To paraphrase Wittgenstein, there is a point where analysis must come to an end, and there is nothing nonsensical about that. Indeed, it is when explanations of meaning do /not/ come to an end that nonsense ensues!

:)

Best

Phil

http://www.doctohelp.com