Re: references was Re: STC certification program

Subject: Re: references was Re: STC certification program
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:01:46 -0700

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Phil Snow Leopard wrote:
> I recently deleted my LinkedIn account after receiving threatening personal messages and more junk mail than my spam filters could handle.

Mileage obviously varies.

I've been a linkedin user since January 2004 and I've received only a handful of "junk" connection requests from people I don't know. No one has ever sent me any personal messages outside of my connections, and there has been zero spam. Zero. None. Not one.

All of my work information including my complete resume has been publicly available on the web for 12 years, and I've also had a very public non-work presence. If anyone was going to steal my identity or work history over the internet from that or from linkedin it surely would have happened by now. This is just not something I'm all that worried about. (I have had issues with identity theft in the usual way, through credit cards and stolen mail, including just in the last month when someone broke into my car.)

If internet privacy worries you then, alas, every site is a problem these days. Including this very mailing list (which is mirrored on the public web and thus easily available to search engines.) We are constantly managing our online personas and the availability of our online information, whether we know it or not.

Honestly, this idea of someone ripping off someone else's entire resume wholesale? This list is the only place I've ever heard of that actually happening. Over the years I've run into writers who could not actually write, writers who were drunks, writers with issues working with women (seemingly a problem in such a pink-collar career as tech writing), writers who showed up for jobs and did no work until the day they were fired, and writers who padded their resumes in dishonest ways, but never a writer who was an actual sock puppet. It seems to me that sock puppetry would be a pretty dangerous tack to take, given how tight-knit and gossipy tech writers can be, how common it is to google people's names these days, and (yes) because of sites like linkedin where you can just look up someone's work background and connections.

Laura

http://www.doctohelp.com