On the other side of the fence from Re: ISO Document Control

Subject: On the other side of the fence from Re: ISO Document Control
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "Sally Derrick" <sjd1201 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:28:32 -0400

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:36:49 -0400, McLauchlan, Kevin <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

I guess it depends on the industry/milieu and the standards-compliance
being audited, but my experience with ISO 900x is that the auditor
simply records any shortcomings in a report.
As for Peter... was that the pony ride thing? ...

Right. We formerly had a petting zoo and pony rides. The ponies are not regulated (yet) but the other animals are. The inspector's word is not law, but it might as well be. The inspector actually told us that her agenda was aminal rghits (to which I refuse to grant correct spelling) and that she was unhappy that she could not regulate our ponies.

Regulation seems to come in the form of "required" appropriate fencing. Fencing for public safety? No. It's to protect the animals from people. Chain link, six feet high, double fence, around our entire farm including the stream and the swamp. As far as I can tell, all the people in our area who now run petting zoos do so illegally, underneath her radar.

As for ISO auditors, they are supposed to be creative in the questions they ask, in order to reveal hidden difficulties. One senior auditor told us, at an ISO Auditing class, about asking these two questions:

1. May I see what's behind that door?
-- I was told not to open that for you.

2. What did you do today with the material that did not pass the quality inspection?
-- We hid it up above the ceiling tiles so we could ship it after you were gone.

In both cases, the employees had been told to hide something, but not to lie to direct questions.

http://www.doctohelp.com