RE: Adobe Technical Communication Suite 3.5

Subject: RE: Adobe Technical Communication Suite 3.5
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:41:18 +1100

Depends on what you need and how much you're willing to pay -- ain't it?

I've been using two-thirds of the suite for six months now -- that is, RH9
(with RH9 Server) and Captivate. Those two integrate well. I don't need
FrameMaker currently since I don't produce any print output, just a very
large enterprise performance support system using WebHelp Pro. In general I
find it easy to work with and well-supported by Adobe and also by numerous
online user forums. Also it integrates well with the current Team Foundation
Server version control engine.

Among the features I am especially happy to have are the reporting and
analytics, available only in the server version. This helps us track usage
and focus our content to better meet the interests of users.

So -- is it worth it? I have saved my employers hundreds of thousands of
dollars by switching to RH9 from a costly, poorly supported "performance
support" system. I got to be a hero-god tech writer for about a day and a
half. (How soon they forget!) So yes, in my case it was absolutely worth it.
We have the occasional glitch, but not a single person has suggested going
back.
__
Mike West

http://www.doctohelp.com