Defining display devices

Subject: Defining display devices
From: Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: tech writer tech writer <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 07:50:47 -0500

I am presently writing a procedure for software to display on both a
customary web browser and mobile device. I think of the customary web
browser as a desktop or laptop and the mobile device as a smartphone,
though I realize this description is too simplistic. Has anyone seen any
guidelines or nomenclature around how to define different devices
(smartphone, tablet, ePub, etc.)? Has anyone seen any standards in our
field?

Thank you.

Bobbi

--