Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?

Subject: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:57:39 -0500

This is exactly what Adobe is attempting with AIR/Community Help.

-Greg

techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on
12/13/2011 11:37:42 AM:

> From: Tim -dot- Slager -at- aciworldwide -dot- com
> To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
> Cc: dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com, techwr-l-bounces
> +tim -dot- slager=aciworldwide -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com,
techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Date: 12/13/2011 11:52 AM
> Subject: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
> Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> And a link from the context-sensitive help topic to a wiki page where
> users can post commentary, questions, and answers about the particular
> help topic or application window/page. (I haven't seen this, but I'd like

> to.)
>
> Tim Slager
>
>
>
>
> From:
> Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
> To:
> dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com
> Cc:
> techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Date:
> 12/13/2011 11:28 AM
> Subject:
> Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
> Sent by:
> techwr-l-bounces+tim -dot- slager=aciworldwide -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
>
> As a user, I prefer the giant PDF for download and local use, but it's
> murder trying to read one online.
>
> In my best of all possible worlds, there would be a
> context-sensitive/searchable OLH/HTML/e-reader/whatever version for
online
> use with a link that says "To download as PDF click here."
>
> Gene Kim-Eng
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Dana Worley (MVP/JB)
> <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>wrote:
>
> > Who says we don't want giant PDFs? :-P
> >
> > Really, it depends upon the type of document. Help file for an
> > application? No, I don't want a PDF, I want a well-designed, context
> > sensitive help file. A complete reference manual for a product? If it's

> a
> > large document, I LOVE having it in PDF format -- very easy to
navigate,
> > search, and scan.
> >
> > It's all about choosing the "right tool for the job", but without any
> idea
> > of what the job is, I don't think the tool can be recommended.
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help.
> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Tim -dot- Slager -at- aciworldwide -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tim.slager%
> 40aciworldwide.com
>
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/gps03%
> 40health.state.ny.us
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resourcesand
info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
> public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


References:
what doc formats do READERs want ?: From: Monique Semp
Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?: From: Dana Worley (MVP/JB)
Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?: From: Gene Kim-Eng
Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?: From: Tim . Slager

Previous by Author: Re: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in RoboHelp 9 (HTML) -- Best practices...?
Next by Author: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
Previous by Thread: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
Next by Thread: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads