Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?

Subject: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
From: Tim -dot- Slager -at- aciworldwide -dot- com
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:37:42 -0500

And a link from the context-sensitive help topic to a wiki page where
users can post commentary, questions, and answers about the particular
help topic or application window/page. (I haven't seen this, but I'd like
to.)

Tim Slager

From:
Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To:
dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com
Cc:
Date:
12/13/2011 11:28 AM
Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
Sent by:

As a user, I prefer the giant PDF for download and local use, but it's
murder trying to read one online.

In my best of all possible worlds, there would be a
context-sensitive/searchable OLH/HTML/e-reader/whatever version for online
use with a link that says "To download as PDF click here."

Gene Kim-Eng

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Dana Worley (MVP/JB)
<dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>wrote:

> Who says we don't want giant PDFs? :-P
>
> Really, it depends upon the type of document. Help file for an
> application? No, I don't want a PDF, I want a well-designed, context
> sensitive help file. A complete reference manual for a product? If it's
> large document, I LOVE having it in PDF format -- very easy to navigate,
> search, and scan.
>
> It's all about choosing the "right tool for the job", but without any
idea
> of what the job is, I don't think the tool can be recommended.

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Tim -dot- Slager -at- aciworldwide -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tim.slager%40aciworldwide.com

http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives

http://www.doctohelp.com