TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Ideas for Help 2.0 From:"Dimitri Tetsch" <dimitri -dot- tetsch -at- 4st -dot- com> To:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com Date:Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:36:24 +0100 (CET)
Just my point of view:
Major advantages for help & documentation systems from the author side:
- one central place where authors can create and store content (no worries
with different software versions of an authoring tool)
- have authors work together in a desktop like environment (RIA) ... not
those web applications that are stateless and just send forms in when
something has to be saved
- Possibility for access control
- Do not ship help systems instead => respond to help calls live from the
server by rendering content
in real time over the net that is pulled from a database.
- Where needed single source to files (if internet access is an issue for
- make it possible for authors to find out what end-users read and search
- efficient support for XML-based translation processes
>From the end-user point of view:
- Easy to search and find needed content
- Possibility to extract content and print to paper (you can call me old
fashioned but I still like it better to study something on paper)
- possibility to provide feedback.
All of the above is possible with HelpServer - Free trials available from
helpserver.eu -> Even a SaaS trial is freely available in this case you do
not need to install any software.
Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days. http://www.doctohelp.com
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-