RE:

Subject: RE:
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, 'Ryan Minaker' <ryan -dot- minaker -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:33:06 +0000

Our documentation is often forwarded to prospective customers who want to be reassured that 1) our products have the features that they are looking for, and to gauge how our software stacks up against the competition; and 2) to assess how easy it will be for users to learn/use our products; and 3) to get a sense of how good our training and support systems are.

And all software comes with detailed context-sensitive help files generated from the print documentation, and/or a pdf of the manuals.

Note that our products ARE geared to the public safety sector; so liability issues do come into play.

Overall, though, I'd agree that the infuriating lack of documentation or even marginally useful help systems is due mostly to cost; as Craig says, people don't worry about how they are going to learn a new app ... if they want it, they buy it.