RE: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious

Subject: RE: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:55:28 -0600

I use Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). I started using it mainly to track the books I was reading, but I have started to use it more to manage the books, and perform the occasional conversions. It doesn't support .doc or .docx, but it can do RTFs. Like anything else... the output depends on the input. If your document is well-formatted in whatever original format you have it in, it does a decent job. But it can get a bit mucky for things like documents with all in-line styles, etc.

Even when it does get a bit mucky, if you know the basics of HTML/XML markup language, it's usually not too hard to go in and clean up in your output files. There are also conversion options for search/replace that can help you. It's not the *most* user friendly tool out there, but by poking around and playing with features, you can figure most of it out.

And they do update the tool *frequently* for bug fixes. Which is a nice thing to see these days (I'm looking at you, Adobe, and your "we can wait 3 months to fix this really major issue" attitude lately).

- V