Re: Best practices in corporate/product branding and domain names

Subject: Re: Best practices in corporate/product branding and domain names
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:13:38 -0500

Do you need to be a dot com? What about dot biz, dot org, or dot net instead?

If you're dead set on being a dot com, there are plenty of sites out
there where the product name doesn't match up with the URL. I see it
all the time from big companies, ones that can afford to buy
commerical time on my favorite TV programs.

Yes, it's ideal if your branding matches across the board. But
eventually you'll get a new company president, and the first thing
he'll do is want to change the product name to something he likes
better... (We might be rebranding because our product name reminds
our new corporate owners of a traumatic failed merger. Never mind
that our existing customers know nothing about that, TPTB are still
contemplating changing the name so *they* don't have to be reminded.)

http://www.doctohelp.com