Re: Laptop for personal use?

Subject: Re: Laptop for personal use?
From: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "techwrl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:08:04 +0700

> On 30 Jan 2012, at 22:57, Porrello, Leonard wrote:
>
> I also wonder if anyone can explain why someone would buy a MacBook.

If you'd asked me that pre-July 20, 2011 I would have told you the following:

1. No viruses/malware issues

2. Intuitive GUI, that included (among other things) fewer clicks per task

3. Consistent UI design (pretty much if you know where a function is in one programme, it will be in the same place in every other program)

4. Increased productivity (downtime from blue screen, crashing, freezes etc almost non-existent).

5. Aesthetically pleasing design, both in terms of the hardware and software.

Now, things have changes somewhat since July last year with the release of OS X 10.7 (or 'OS X Lion' ). Apple has fundamentally changed direction in 2011. I no longer unreservedly recommend Macs or OS X as I have done for the last 7 years or more because the new direction is basically locking down choice, versatility and compatibility in a way that Macs have never done before. In essence, Apple's direction seems to be the complete reverse of what it always has been: it is now largely focussed on making systems aimed at consuming rather producing digital content.

For personal use (browsing, emailing, etc) then the 5 reasons above still more or less provide a compelling reason to buy a MacBook. But for creative professionals, Mac is becoming far too idiosyncratic and restrictive. Apple seem to be moving Mac OS away from its traditional stronghold and aiming for a mass market, locked-in iTunes/iBooks/App Store/iOS "home entertainment" audience.

I've no idea what will take its place for professionals, but I hope something appears in the next two years or so (before my current 2009 hardware becomes obsolete).

Best

Phil
Tech Writer:
http://applehelpwriter.com